Re: gethostbyname (was Re: (DNS) draft wording for W.G. review. )

From: Anawat Chankhunthod <chankhun@catarina.usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 19:31:28 -0800
To: hallam@w3.org
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> DNS_initialize (&context, DNS_default)

[...]

If we can have this kind of interface as a standard, that'll be great.
Even better if a resolver lib does a client side caching. So app programmer
don't have to mess with it. However, api to control caching should be provided,
like, set cache size and cache flush, stuff like that.

> The sort of place where this code would be of most use would be in code to do
> bulk DNS queries to build up databases - e.g. to asist in analysis of log
> files or as a prefilter inside a mailing list distributor.

another example, high volume www proxy/cache server. say > 50,000 requests per
hour.

Anawat