Re: About that Host: header....

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:39:05 -0800
To: Paul Hoffman <paulh@imc.org>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I agree with all of Roy says here, although I believe that we don't need to
> use his provocative wording. I propose changing:

What is provocative about "vanity hostnames"?  That is, after all, the
common name and purpose for this feature.  I was just trying to be
specific so that people can find the topic using a search service. ;-)

>>   This allows the origin server or gateway to
>>   differentiate between internally-ambiguous URLs, such as the root "/"
>>   URL of a server harboring multiple vanity hostnames on a single IP
>>   address.

>>   This allows the origin server or gateway to
>>   differentiate between internally-ambiguous URLs, such as the root "/"
>>   URL of a server that serves HTTP for many hostnames on a single IP
>>   address.

In this case, "a server that serves HTTP" is redundant.  How about

     URL of a server for multiple hostnames on a single IP address.

......Roy