Issues Beyond HTTP/1.1 ???

From: Alex Lopez-Ortiz <alopez-o@barrow.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:08:30 -0500 (EST)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Issue 1:

When a user stops a transmission, the CGI's generated do not get
killed. Am I correct to say that this is so because the HTTP protocol
does not contemplate an "transmission interrupted" signal?

Is there any knoen solution known to this problem that does not
involve changes to the protocol?

Issue 2:

Local data shows that our connetions will be swamped by the end of
the year. Caching seems to be a good way to handle this problem.
However, most of the caching schemes in use right now are client side.
In fact, some forms of traffic can only be efficiently cached
by server inititiated and managed caches (see Push-Caching
http://daisy.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o/cspap/cache/Overview.html)

Alex

--
Alex Lopez-Ortiz                                       alexlo@opentext.com
Research & Development                               Open Text Corporation