Re: About that Host: header....

From: Dirk.vanGulik <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:26:22 +0100
To: koen@win.tue.nl
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Would it be possible to cover some middle ground,

I'd be very happy which something like the following scheme, which fits well
with some of the technology out there:

1. All 'new' servers should be able to understand both

	GET http://something/somewhere HTTP/1.x
	*and*
	GET somewhere HTTP/1.y
	(with an optional host; which if there should be
	dealt with accordingly, regardless of the IP)

   Wether x and y can be 1 and 0 is open to debate, I would be in
   favour of having y=0 only and x=0 or 1.

   This regardless of wether their marketing drones claim that
   is speaks http/1.9 or wathever.

2. All (current) servers should be able to understand
   the Host: something line, at best they should not break
   when one is flashed at them.

3. All 'new' clients should do a

	GET somewhere HTTP/1.0
	Host: something

   while we are still in http 1.0 and a full

    GET http://something/somewhere HTTP/1.1

    when they are really a 1.1 (and know (how?) that the
    server will swallow 1.1).

Does this make sense ? I agree, it is not perfect, but it
allows some of us to slowly start to optimizing our servers
and installatins without breaking toooo much.

Does this make sense as a bad kind of middle ground.

Dw.