Re: proxies rewriting URLs

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:02:16 PST
To: hallam@w3.org
Cc: fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU, hallam@w3.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Personally, I don't think proxies *should* rewrite URLs, and that
origin servers should decide on logical equivalence and report it.

This is the only way that servers that are not 'multihomed' but happen
to have multiple DNS entries can be declared to be equivalent.

Otherwise, we have to define equivalence for URLs unambiguously, and
I'm reluctant to engage in that because it's likely we'll get it
wrong.