Re: Footers and Chunked

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 22:43:52 PST
To: hallam@w3.org
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I'm sorry, I was just completely confused by your message. It was rude
of me to forward it to the list, though, and I apologize.

I don't think our procedure is 'make random changes to get things out
the door'. I think our procedure is 'make things solid if we can; if
they're not solid, leave them out of 1.1 and revert to 1.0'. So,
chunked isn't in 1.0. If we put it in 1.1, it will be with agreed-upon
specification.

Chunked is handy for persistent connections, because it lets you deal
with content where you don't know the length.  If we really have
trouble specifying chunked agreeably, we could take it out, and leave
persistent connections restricted to those cases where either the
client accepts multipart and the server wants to send it, or else the
length is known.