RE: proxies rewriting URLs

From: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 10:40:23 PST
To: http-wg-request%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
] From: Larry Masinter  <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
] To:  <"http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com">;
] <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
] Subject: proxies rewriting URLs
] Date: Wednesday, March 06, 1996 11:52PM
]
] Apologies if this is clear in the text, but it didn't seem to be when
] I scanned 1.1. Some older proxies seemed to be modifying URLs, e.g.,
]
] if you
]
]     GET http://foo.com/test#frob HTTP/1.0
]
] they might ask foo.com for
]
]     GET /test%23frob HTTP/1.0
]
] or vice versa. Is there any reason to disallow this, and if so, what
] language would be put in the spec to disallow it; alternatively, if
] proxies might do this kind of transformation, what should we say?
]
]
]
]