Re: Can proxies rewrite Date:?

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 15:47:01 +0100 (MET)
To: Ari Luotonen <luotonen@netscape.com>
Cc: mogul@pa.dec.com, frystyk@w3.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Ari Luotonen:
>Neither one of the proxies I've written changes the Date: header, and
>I'm not aware of any proxy that does it.  I would say it's safe to
>trust the Date: header not to be mangled by intermediaries.

I believe that caching proxies are supposed to rewrite the Date:
header in a response that is refreshed with a `not modified' response
to a conditional GET.  See the last line of the 304 definition in the
1.0 draft spec.

I don't know if this is actually done, though.

But if the date header is part of the data digested for the
message-digest, this would certainly give problems under 1.1.

>Ari Luotonen				ari@netscape.com

Koen.