Re: URI Pattern Syntax

From: Mike Meyer <mwm@contessa.phone.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 15:39:13 PST
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> Patterns can be useful.  Let's not create a new semi-synax, but
> either adopt simle * ? [...] of Unix shells, or full regular
> expressions.

Full regular expressions would make a lot more sense than an
incomplete approximation of them. About the only good argument for
doing an incomplete version would be that people were already familiar
with it, in which case we should do the one that most people are
already familiar with.

Now, could someone explain what application this would be used for?
Are servers expected to create multipart objects when handed a URL?
Browsers expected to ask for a bunch in a row? A shorthand for mirror
systems?

	Thanx,
	<mike