CGI in HTTP standards documents

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:25:04 PST
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
CGI is currently not mentioned in either HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1. I'm a
little wary about discussion of CGI in HTTP-WG, except insofar as the
existance of CGI might put some constraints on the 'typical HTTP
implementation'.

There's a proposal to start a new CGI working group that would develop
a CGI specification. Although many HTTP-WG members might also want to
participate in CGI development, I don't think that the work should be
done within this group, at least at this time.

There is an Internet draft for CGI. I suggest those who are interested
contact the author and initiate a new working group on the topic.