Re: Number of connections (was: Re: HTTP Working Group 'issues' list)

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 96 17:08:14 PST
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
    > We basically agreed that (1) there would be no way to enforce
    > a limit on the number of connections, and (2) there was clear
    > evidence that the optimal number is greater than 1.  However,

    The optimal number of connections is bounded above by one for just about
    every case I can think of. Further, I don't agree that there is no way to
    restrict the number of connections available to a given host; there are
    lots of ways ranging from the TCP stack to the application layer. What I
    think you argued was that it was undesirable to do this in case the host
    in question was a big proxy.

We are discussing HTTP/1.1.  What I argued included what you think I
argued, but also included something entirely different.  Please read
my message more carefully.

-Jeff