Re: Round 3: moving HTTP 1.0 to informational

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 23:53:43 PST
To: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> How about adding a sentence "Support for such character encodings is not
> yet widely implemented in WWW software; but this specification should be
> understood to allow their use."

Look, this is a definition of 'HTTP as practiced'. It's not going to
'allow' you to do anything, it should just define what it is you need
to do to interoperate with other HTTP clients and servers out there
today. If you can turn this whole thing into a statement of 'how to
interoperate with current clients and servers', I'll go along with it.

I suppose you could say that you shouldn't blindly convert CR, LF, or
CRLF to your 'local' text encoding if you don't recognize the charset
parameter. That might be constructive.