Re: html, http, urls and internationalisation

From: Maurizio Codogno <mau@beatles.cselt.stet.it>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 11:46:49 +0100
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: yergeau@alis.ca, masinter@parc.xerox.com
% From: Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.ca>
% >From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>

% >URLs are written with characters, not octets. The characters in a URL
% >are used to represent octets, not characters.
%=20
% Technically, yes.  And octets above 127 are stuck with the nice "%XX"
% representation, because there is no agreement on what characters
% should represent them.  Which is at the heart of the issue at hand:
% URLs are used to name and locate Internet resources, and only those
% whose language can be represented by ASCII (English and Swahili) can
% have meaningful (to them) names.

I can be dead wrong, but I don't see any problem in having a URL with
a non-meaningful name, as long as I can reach the resource.=20

I stick to ASCII in the names of my own files, but if I had a=20
document under http://beatles.cselt.stet.it/Novit=E0.html I believe that
everyone would read a definite character for %E0 (conversion is local) =
and
get my document using his character.

.mau.