Re: Proposal on removing Content Negotiation from http 1.1

From: Alex Hopmann <alex.hopmann@resnova.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 12:07:28 -0800 (PST)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Peter Churchyard wrote:
>I would like to propose that content negotiation is removed from http 1.1
Ouch! I really would like to resist this idea- I consider content
negotiation to be one of the greatest priorities of this group. The
currently popular content negotiation mechanism is user-agent: which is a
SERIOUS problem for the HTTP community to be able to have some sort of
common standards.

That said, I must admit that I personally don't have any brilliant solutions
for the problems posed by content negotiation. I just think its too
important to abandon so quickly.

Alex Hopmann
ResNova Software, Inc.
hopmann@holonet.net