Re: elaboration on MIME and HTTP issue

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:34:38 -0500
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>> In the current Netscape, I can set a preference about encodings, and if I
>> choose "Japanese, auto-detect", not only do I get ugly fonts for my
>> ISO-8859-1 text, but some IS0-8859-1 get mapped to inappropriate
>> glyphs at display time. On the other hand, if I set it to ISO-8859-1,
>> then my Japanes text comes out looking like garbage.
>I agree, it's awful. How would you suggest describing the mess we've
>got ourselves into?

Well, I guess this is a hint that I should stop complaining, and
contribute to the production of the information RFC. I thought about
this quite a lot, and I couldn't think of much apart from "a mess"

Seriously though, we could put some language like the following in
the draft.

Note that currenlty, most servers do not add the "charset" parameter
to the content descriptor. For documents that use any character set or
encoding other than ISO 8859-1, this leads to severe interoperability
problems. Most current browsers are capable of performing a limited
amount of encoding auto-sensing, but this mechanism is unreliable,
and results in many inconveniences for end-users. Incorrect, or lack
of labelling also hampers the deployment of many useful applications
like code conversion servers and automatic translation systems.