state management sub-group status

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 21:46:50 -0500
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
The state management sub-group has held several telephone conferences to
discuss issues.  We have agreed to use the Netscape Cookie syntax, and we
have focussed our discussions on improving the privacy and caching aspects
of cookies.  We have also discussed, to a lesser degree, the security
aspects of cookies.  We have agreed to use the caching rules (for cookies)
that were set forth in the State-Info I-D.  We have also generally agreed
to privacy goals for cookies, to ensure, as much as possible, that cookies
only get sent to "the right" origin server(s), but we haven't worked out
the words to express the rules that govern that behavior.  Lou Montulli
(Netscape) has volunteered the services of one of their tech. writers to
work on a specification.  We now await a draft specification from them so
the sub-group can review and bash the words.

Dave Kristol