safe PUT

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:42:15 PST
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
My perusal of the mailing list is that the following people

  dave@navisoft.com,
  fisherm@is3.indy.tce.com,
  dmw@shell.portal.com,
  rg@caffeine.server.net,
  koen@win.tue.nl,
  mogul@pa.dec.com,
  Z.Wang@cs.ucl.ac.uk,
  fielding@avron.ics.uci.edu,
  aray@pipeline.com

have commented on the issues surrounding sending a 'PUT' transaction
safely and reliably. I also believe that there is sufficient negative
reaction to Roy's proposal in the HTTP/1.1 draft to the '5 second
delay' as to indicate that there is not 'rough consensus' on that
particular design element.

We've had a long discussion with various counter-proposals floated,
but not much convergence. I'll ask all of you to decide between one of
the following three alternatives (I can think of no others):

- Are you interested in drafting a counter-proposal?
- Should PUT go into HTTP/1.1 as originally specified, but
  with a warning as to its unreliability?
- Should PUT be removed from HTTP/1.1?