Re: On the connection between content negotiation and caching

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Daniel DuBois wrote:

> >I can think of at least one important case where a simple optimization
> >might work nicely: when the server *knows* that there is exactly

The question here would be whether the server *knows* that there will
be no variants in the future.  I accept that it could and often does but
it may not.

> But even in that case, it's unacceptable to serve up anything without
> checking the content negotiation algorithm.  You can't send back text/html
> to someone who sends "Accept: text/html;q=0.0".

The current draft 1.1 does not seem to support this position.  By my
my reading it is correct to send whatever the server has if it
have only one choice.  There is no special significance to q=0.0 that I
could find. Just really undesired by the requestor.

Dave Morris