Re: making progress on State-Info

From: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:52:17 -0800
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, montulli@mozilla.com, eric@spyglass.com

I think this may perhaps be an instance of "consensus by lack of discussion"
for which this group ought to be famous.

Whether there is consensus (of any texture) for it or not, I think the
reasonable thing to do under the circumstances is to compare it
critically to the Netscape Cookie Proposal, since that is the main
competitor for this ecological niche (aside from the actual dominant
species, which is URL hacks in all their glory).

I personally think that the Kristol proposal, to which several members
of this group have contributed, is a reasonable and simple solution to
the problem, although it does have certain limitations, and we should
be clear on the acceptability of those limitations before OKing it.

I'll try to address some of these issues later -- gotta get some work
done today.

--Shel