Re: Byte ranges (was Re: Logic Bag concerns)

    According to Mike Braca:
    > Jeffrey Mogul wrote:
    > > In other words, IN ALL CASES what the cache-validator means is
    > > that if it doesn't match, send the whole object.  What Range:
    > > modifies is the behavior of GET when the cache-validator does
    > > match.  And (if you like) you can think of a missing Range:
    > > header as implying "Range: bytes=0-0", so there is really only
    > > one meaning.
    >
    > (I assume you meant "Range: bytes=0-")

    No, I think he meant an implicit Range: 0-0 with the intent that
    nothing be sent (but actually it would send one byte).

Correct.  I should have written that a missing Range: header implies
"Range: bytes=1-0" ... or more properly, I should have simply written
that a missing Range: header implies "the empty set."

    I think this illustrates the potential for confusion that could be
    eliminated with an If-cache-valid: <authenticator> and
    If-cache-stale: <authenticator>.

No, it illustrates the potential for confusion when I don't think
hard enough about what I am typing :-).

-Jeff