HTTP and Media Serving

From: West Suhanic <wsuhanic@acs.ryerson.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 00:27:13 -0500 (EST)
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: HTTP working Group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Hello All:

I have been following the byte range discussions with much interest.
What I propose is that instead of byte ranges, that a concept like
time code be utilized to control media on the web. Traditional time code
has the form:

      hours:minutes:seconds:frames

I propose that this be augmented with, for example, the following
information:

      URL:filename:hours:minutes:seconds:frames

This would allow the HTML creator to determine what frames
to be played from a video or audio stream. As for text information
the author could determine that each page is a frame for example. The
text creator would then determine the range of pages to send.

I am proposing the use of time code because I feel the HTTP server
should be viewed as a media server as opposed to a byte stream server.
If it is considered in this fashion then the HTTP media server coupled
with a time code based access mechanism could become much integrated
with content creation. For example, content creators could go straight
from non-linear edit systems to the web.

Comments ?

West Suhanic