Re: Comments on Byte range draft

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 07:45:55 -0500
To: fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU
Cc: masinter@parc.xerox.com, ari@netscape.com, john@math.nwu.edu, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>   1) The Right Way
>
>      Treat all PDF files as a tree, containing a catalog of pages,
>      chapters, or whatever other components can be identified within
>      the PDF.  Assign each of these components a URL and make the server
>      smart enough to extract the right component.

If you treat data as trees (and I'll agree that it's "The Right Way"),
then the TEI locators provide a very flexible and powerful addressing
scheme based on occurence, typed occurence, and direct address. You
can browse the TEI guidelines at EBT's site.

I also have a problem with byte ranges as they have absolutely no
meaning for many data types (HTML being one). If one wants to *really*
do this the right way, one should have a general/extensible addressing
mechanism like that offered by HyTime (not that I am proposing it be
adopted as is).