Re: State Wars, part XI (was: Revised Charter)

From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 15:02:02 -0800 (PST)
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: "M. Hedlund" <hedlund@best.com>, montulli@mozilla.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Koen Holtman wrote:
> M. Hedlund:
> >[Lou Montulli:]
> >>In fact, [Dave's proposal] reduces the capibilities such that it is nearly
> >>unusable for large scale applications such as online shopping.
> >
> >I disagree (as a programmer for an online shopping site).  I do agree that
> >an extremely large online shopping site with many stores or large ordering
> >possibilities might hit an upper limit with the state-info proposal if they
> >tried to store all ordering info in the State-info: header.  This concern,
> >however, is not pressing for the vast majority of ordering systems, which
> >accumulate a small number of items in each session.
>
> I agree.

Besides, hopefully this "extremely large shopping site" will be sufficiently
funded and motivated to build a shopping cart Java applet which will store
everything in a client-side database so none of this information needs to get
transmitted over the wire more than twice (once at browse-time, once at
order-time) and there's no limit to what can go in your shopping cart.  Oh,
the Java applet API doesn't have persistant object support - oops!  Big
mistake there.  Hopefully the API v2 will fix that...

	Brian