Language tags (Re: Statistics on reusing request)

From: <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 1995 11:33:53 +0100
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@stonehand.com>
Cc: Balint Nagy Endre <bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu>, Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>, http WG <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Glenn,
thanks for reminding me....

I object strongly to the paragraph in I18N that says:

   Two-letter primary-tags are reserved for ISO 639 language abbrevia-
   tions [ISO-639], and three-letter primary-tags for the language
   abbreviations of the "Ethnologue" [ETHNO] (the latter is in addition
   to the requirements of RFC 1766). Any two-letter initial subtag is an
   ISO 3166 country code [ISO-3166].

The reason is what I stated in RFC 1766:

   The reason for reserving all other tags is to be open towards new
   revisions of ISO 639; the use of "i" and "x" is the minimum we can do
   here to be able to extend the mechanism to meet our requirements.

If you wish to register I-SIL-nnn as a standard for three-letter
Ethnologue-based tags, or even want to push for updating RFC 1766 to include S-nnn as a new category, I would not argue against that, but I would like to stick to the principle of using ISO standards for the basic namespace.

Otherwise, we will end up with a really confusing situation once the
ISO 3166 three-letter project finishes (if it ever does); its tags are
SURE to conflict with the SIL tag.

         Harald A