Re: Keep-Alive Notes

From: Eric W. Sink <eric@rafiki.spyglass.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 08:29:47 -6
To: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> Is the Keep-Alive header mandatory or optional?  That is, is the presence
> of just
> 	Connection: Keep-Alive
> sufficient?

I believe it should be optional.  Our client, for example, ignores it
entirely, since it doesn't seem to be interested in the max and
timeout keywords.

> I argue, therefore, that the Keep-Alive header conveys no useful
> information and ought to be dropped.

While agreeing with the rest of your message, I disagree here.
Providing a place for these kinds of parameters is the right idea
since we *will* run across a need for one, and that kind of
information should stay out of the Connection header itself.

Eric W. Sink
eric@spyglass.com         http://www.spyglass.com/~eric/