Re: keep alive

From: Beth Frank <efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 12:14:22 -0500 (CDT)
To: "Anselm.BairdSmith" <Anselm.Baird_Smith@inria.fr>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for the precise spec of the keep-alive stuff. Mosaic
> 2.7b1 and Netscape 2.0 (beta) both seems to follow this spec that I
> haven't been able to locate. The only thing I am sure of, is that they
> do not use the "draft-ietf-http-ses-ext-00.txt" adertized at
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/ (well, at least header names &
> values differ).
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
>
> Anselm.
>
> BTW: Is this is not the correct group for this kind of questions, let
> me know.
>
> Anselm.BairdSmith@inria.fr - http://www.inria.fr/koala/abaird.html

Our documentation for keep-alive is at
	http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/beta-1.5/howto/KeepAlive.html

It references the spec mentioned above.  NCSA's implementation of the
feature was completed shortly before that spec was released (and
our beta was release that same week).  Our implementation was based
on an earlier version of the spec, which I can't find now.  I believe
Stan did a read-through of the new specification and found our
implementation to be valid but missing some of the optional headers.

	-Beth

PS. The Spyglass implementation does interoperate with NCSA's and
	I believe (but haven't confirmed) that Netscape's does as well.

--
		Elizabeth(Beth) Frank
		NCSA Server Development Team