Re: Decision about Host?

From: Daniel DuBois <ddubois@rafiki.spyglass.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 08:21:49 -0500
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> > Now, what happens behind the curtains (between the gateway and the
> > origin server) is none of our business.  There is no need for that
> > communication to even be HTTP.
>
>While it seems *possible* to take that position, it just doesn't seem
>even slightly *useful*, because in practice what will be running inside
>the network will be other HTTP servers, not XYZ servers using some
>proprietary protocol.

My coworker was working on a HTTP server that was a front end to a bunch of
Z39.50-protocol searching library servers.  It's more common than you would
think.  Our perceptions are skewed because of our intimate familiarity with
HTTP.

Anyway, I agree with Roy.  If the "gateway" knows the port, that's enough.
The "gateway" is soley reponsible for mapping the port & URL to some other
information-determining mechanism if it wants to take on that job.  As far
as the client is concerned, the "gateway" is the end source of information.

The issue is closed dude.  Stick a fork in it.  It's toast.
-----
Dan DuBois, Software Animal             http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/
		I absolutely do not speak for Spyglass.