Re: Decision about Host?

From: David Robinson <drtr1@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 16:04 BST
To: bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Endre Balint Nagy wrote:
> Paul Hoffman writes:
> > >Should that be: "between the // and the first / or : in the HOST"?
> >
> > Very good question, and I don't remember seeing any discussion of this.
> > Does the HOST include the port number?
> Not, because the port number is the port number on which the server is
> listening.

False. The server may be behind a firewall, proxy or accelerator; the
port on which it is listening may not be the port the client used.

I suggest that HOST include the port number. It does no harm, and there
can be (useful) cases where the port number is not available to the
server.

 David Robinson. (drtr@ast.cam.ac.uk)