Re: Proxy naming

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 14:32:22 PDT
To: bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu
Cc: paulle@microsoft.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Paul Leach

> One small step in this direction would be to allow full URLs in
> requests to origin servers in HTTP 1.1. (In HTTP 1.0 and the current
> HTTP 1.1 draft, they are only allowed in requests to proxies.)

Balint Nagy Endre/Andrew:

> Good idea, but requires a lot of discussion for 1.0-1.1 interoperatibility.

I think we already had a lot of discussion on this point.  I'm not
sure there was 100% consensus, but I believe that the sense of the
group is that HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 are interoperable, e.g., a
HTTP/1.0 server should respond to a HTTP/1.1 request and a HTTP/1.1
server should respond to a HTTP/1.0 request.

Adding a Host: field to HTTP 1.1 requests allows interoperability, but
sending the full URL in the request doesn't. We *should* say that in
HTTP 1.1, all servers should respond to the full URL, so that future
versions of the protocol might eliminate "Host:".

Clients could send the full URL to servers where it knew that the
server was HTTP/1.1 (e.g., had talked to that server/port recently).