Re: Beth Frank: Question about Host

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 20:07:10 PDT
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I don't think we should provide specially for those clients that use
IP addresses or partial host names instead of FQDNs, e.g., the client
should send what it has, and the server should respond as best it can
using what it gets.

Almost all web services do not host multiple servers for a single
site; we shouldn't impose any more computational work on the clients
for the < 1% of hosts, who can deal with non-FQDNs and IP addresses in
the same way that they deal with clients that don't send a 'Host:'
field at all -- give a menu of choices, present a default, etc.