request-method POST

From: Daniel Fink <dafink@isa.informatik.th-darmstadt.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 18:17:30 +0100 (MET)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Hello,

I am new to the list. After following the pretty sophisticated
discussions, I feel almost a little embarrassed to send my problem
to the list. But I need urgently some help.

I am trying to develop a HTML-form that allows users to search in
various library-catalogues simultaneously without having to approach
the different search-pages of each library.

The idea is to construct the search-string from the input to my
form adequately for each library and send it via telnet directly
to the corresponding cgi-script.

This underlies as long as one is moving in the world of the WWW the
rules of the http-protocol (pretty smart of me, he?).
Approaching a cgi-script that expects the data to be transmitted
from the corresponding form with the request-method GET works as follows:

telnet www.example-library.de 80  #80 as the standard port for the web-server

-connection-reply-

GET /cgi-bin/search-cgi?title=http-protocol&author=......

-answer by delievering an html-sheet with the result of the query-

But how does it work when the script expects the data with the
request-method POST from stdin ?????

I know that http provides the request-method POST. This
must be the key to the problem, but so far all my experimenting has not
brought me the solution.

So all you http-experts, please help me. If you are so kind to answer,
please either answer directly to my email-adress or drop me a short
line that you answered to the list.

Thanks
Daniel Fink