Host: vs. Orig-URI: w/ %%

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:05:59 PDT
To: http WG <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
I was going to say that I found the Orig-URI-with-%% mechanism a
little more compelling this morning, and retract my support of Host:,
but I realized that I didn't know what a client would send to a proxy
under the Orig-URI proposal. Would they send:

   GET http://host.dom/path.stuff HTTP/1.1
   Orig-URI: %%

or

   GET http://host.dom/path.stuff HTTP/1.1
   Orig-URI: http://host.dom/%%

or would they leave it out completely and let the proxy handle it?

In fact, even for the 'Host:' proposal, shouldn't clients just not
bother supplying Host to the proxy, and shouldn't the proxy generate
it?