Re: domain-name?

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 14:38:00 -0400
To: Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>I understand that Orig-URI is optional, and it doesn't suitably solve
>the very important problem of serving different content based
>on different domain names pointing at the same IP address.

Yes it does.  Prove to me that it doesn't, and I'll remove it from
the specification.

>Let's forget about Orig-URI and concentrate on fixing this
>problem.  Sending Orig-Host solves the problem, and in my
>opinion is the best solution.

That is your opinion.  It was my opinion six months ago when
I originally proposed *just* Host.  I was overruled, and you must
come up with a better argument than that if you want the WG to change
it again.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)