Re: domain-name?

From: Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:06:29 -0700
To: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Cc: Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Roy Fielding wrote:

> >It is not at all sufficient.  It requires doubling the amount
> >of request data sent for long paths.  If I submit a form with
> >30 K of data with a GET method, I certainly don't want to
>
> Which would break all known implemented systems, including Netsite.
>
> >send 60K of data.  If we send the missing parts of the
> >URI as headers they can be reassembled at the host end.
> >There is no need for something as wasteful as Orig-URI.
>
> Except that you are ignoring the fact that the URI may not be a URL,
> may not have anything one might call a "host", and/or may include
> a fragment identifier that IS worth knowing about.
>
> As I said, Orig-URI is optional.  If you like, you can send it
> only upon requests of the root URL.

I understand that Orig-URI is optional, and it doesn't suitably solve
the very important problem of serving different content based
on different domain names pointing at the same IP address.

Let's forget about Orig-URI and concentrate on fixing this
problem.  Sending Orig-Host solves the problem, and in my
opinion is the best solution.

:lou
--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/