Re: domain-name?

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 00:00:55 -0400
To: Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com>
Cc: Chris Schefler <css@webcom.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>> Questions:  Is there anything in the 1.1 spec for passing the full
>> URL, or, alternatively, passing the domain name as a header?
>> Or am I correct in my reading of the spec that passing the full
>> URL, including domain name, is legal in 1.0? (e.g., GET
>> http://www.domain.com/dir/welcome.html HTTP/1.0)?
>>
>There is an ORIG-URI header that can contain the fully specified
>URL.

Yep, that's right.

> I find this header to be very wasteful though.  I would
>prefer to see an ORIG-HOST header that would only specify the
>hostname so that it isn't necessary to transmit the path
>part of a URL twice.

What then would you include for the path URI?
Orig-URI will be useful when URNs show up (if URNs show up).

All requests will include the full URI in HTTP/2.0.
Until that time, Orig-URI is sufficient.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)