Re: HTTP/1.0 Draft 3 defines both 0.9 and 1.0 ?

From: Jean-Philippe Martin-Flatin <syj@ecmwf.int>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:08:25 +0100
To: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
On Sep 15, 15:30, Roy Fielding wrote:

> >  This document defines both the 0.9 and 1.0 versions of the HTTP
> >  protocol. Applications sending Full-Request or Full-Response
> >  messages, as defined by this specification, must include an
> >  HTTP-Version of "HTTP/1.0".
> >
> >I think there's a mix-up in the first sentence of the last paragraph: the
> >purpose of HTTP/1.0 Draft 3 is most definitely not to define HTTP/0.9. Its
> >sole references to HTTP/0.9 address compatibility issues.
>
> No, this specification does define HTTP/0.9.  It is, in fact,
> the only formal definition of HTTP/0.9.  It's "purpose" is an entirely
> separate matter which is not relevant to that sentence.

IMHO, this is a bad idea. You don't define HTTP/0.9 in a document entitled
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.0", and you don't define 2 levels of
the protocol in a single document. Sounds like common sense and common
practice to me. Who needs a formal spec for HTTP/0.9 anyway, whose major
version number looks very much like a pre-release ?

OK, it's not really important...

Jean-Philippe