Re: Content Codings

From: <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 16:27:10 +0200
To: JP.Martin-Flatin@ecmwf.int
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Important point: The IANA does not "consider" anything.
It only registers, according to rules laid down by RFC authors (and accepted
by IANA).
In this case, I believe that no document specifying registry of
content-encoding values has been written, so IANA can't register anything.

I suggest that any such registry be carefully defined in the HTTP/1.1
document, if you want it.
YOU (the community) are the ones who have to do the considering!

       Harald A