Re: keepalive/lookahead

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 95 15:02:15 MDT
To: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Just to follow up on my own reply to Shel's proposal:

Pretty much by accident, I discovered that several people at Boston
University, Azer Bestavros and Carlos Cunha, have also been looking at
predictive prefetching approaches (which they call "speculative"
prefetching).  They have published several technical reports (see
http://cs-www.bu.edu/techreports/Home.html) but I have not seen
anything from them appear elsewhere, including here.

So far, they seem to have looked only at purely server-initiated and
purely client-initiated models, rather than the hybrid that Shel and I
have each proposed.  But they have done trace-based simulation studies
that apparently show performance gains.

-Jeff