Re: Problems with content negotiation (was: Re: Preemptive and

From: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 1995 11:10:43 -0500 (CDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
According to Daniel DuBois:
> >- send small Accept without *: risk getting responses with inferior quality
> Inferior according to the server, maybe.  Not inferior according to the
> client.  The client is perfectly happy with what they got, because they
> asked for it!

Maybe you didn't understand the point. It is very expensive for the client
to fully ask for what it wants.  If it asks less than fully there is a
good chance the client will not be happy with what it gets.  This is
a problem and "Live with it" is not the solution.

I think that the ultimate answer has to be something like always use
reactive negotiation if there are muliple variants of a document.  There
could be a small number of exceptions (e.g. gif/jpg), but then you
have the question of what can be an exception.

John Franks