Re: Still trying to make sense of HTTP caching model

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 95 19:35:58 MDT
To: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
    There are now three ways that have been proposed to say that the cache
    manager could construe as telling it it can cache but needs to check:
    1. Expires: <yesterday>
    2. Expires: value same as Date: value
    3. Cache-Control: max-age=0

Actually, I would probably combine #1 and #2 into
	Expires: value < deskewed current time
given that the Date: value serves as a lower bound on the "current time"
when it is received.  When I wrote "Expires: <yesterday>" what I really
meant was "Expires: some time obviously in the past"; I don't think
we need to pick a particular distinguished value.  In fact, we probably
ought not to pick a particular value, since it can only lead to one
more possible bug in an implementation.

-Jeff