Re: Accept headers and media parameters

From: Jim Seidman <jim@rafiki.spyglass.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 09:06:28 -0500
To: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
At 05:05 PM 9/2/95 -0400, Roy Fielding wrote:
>Well, following the algorithm given in the spec, the answer is q=0.
>There is nothing ambiguous about it, and it is exactly what the
>Accept headers say, so what's the problem?
>For obvious reasons, any browser that doesn't include all the ranges
>that it wants to accept is broken, unless it wants a 406 response instead.

I think the term "range" is used incorrectly here.  The only options are
either, "this very specific type" or "any specific type I haven't mentioned."

The current semantics of Accept are going to lead to some awfully long
requests.  Suppose that a browser can accept application/foobar version 1.0,
1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5, but not any later versions, and
prefers 2.x to 1.x.  Your accept header now looks like this:

Accept: application/foobar;version=1.0;q=0.5,

I could see this happening with a number of media types - HTML, PNG, Java,
etc.  I agree that the semantics are very simple, but as time goes on the
Accept headers could easily start forcing the request into multiple TCP packets.

Jim Seidman, Senior Software Engineer
Spyglass Inc., 1230 E. Diehl Road, Naperville IL 60563