Re: Suggestion: PUT if-not-modified-since

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 00:13:30 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, masinter@parc.xerox.com
Shel Kaphan:
>It might be advisable to go directly to a IF-NOT-DIFFERENT model
>to avoid the same problems as were discussed in connection with GET
>with IF-MODIFIFED-SINCE.  It does seem like a worthwhile addition
>though.

I don't think that making this addition now is worthwhile.  In my
opinion, the whole PUT stuff is overspecified already, as no standard
software seems to be using PUT.

Choosing a multi-author mutual exclusion model now and standardizing
it seems premature.  I'd rather wait till someone makes a reasonably
good multiuser web editor, then we can standardize the model used by
that editor.

In fact, I'm not even sure if the multi-author mutual exclusion
problem should be solved with more HTTP protocol extensions.  Building
an editor that uses a POST on a special URL to get a lock is also a
possibility.

>--Shel

Koen.