Re: Location Proposals

From: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 17:15:47 -0700
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Koen:

  [...]
  >A cache can never know whether a
  >document has been more recently modified than the last time it fetched it.
  >So it has to check every time.

  I don't want it to check every time: the spec does not (and should
  not) require it to do so.  If I put

Sorry, I think this is another misunderstanding.

The context of my remark is the use of GET-IMS.  If a cache gets a
GET-IMS with an IMS date > the date of its own last request for a
particular document it holds, it must forward the request, since it
doesn't know if the document has been modified more recently than the
last time it asked.

--Shel