Re: Comments on draft-v10-03a.

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:28:58 PDT
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I think we're better off sticking with computer science terminology,
rather than reaching into mathematics when describing Internet
protocols. I'd suggest we say that GET should be

  "without additional side-effects if invoked again."

That is, a 'GET' method might cause side effects, but reinvoking it
with the same URL shouldn't have any additional side effects.

Note that this definition says nothing at all about what is returned
by the GET method, which may return a different result every single
time, no matter how closely spaced the calls are. The issue is whether
doing it again has an effect on the state of the server.