Idempotent

From: <mau@beatles.cselt.stet.it>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 18:22:42 +0200
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
% >Idempotent
%
% I second the request for a clear definition in the context of this spec.
% Another good reason for this: idempotent is not in any dictionary
% (including my Webster's unabridged) that I could find.

Being a mathematician, my idea of idempotence is a function f such as
f(f(x)) = f(x) .

Now, I admit it is not something I'll put on the http specs, but what about

"something which does not change if requested twice in rapid succession"?

ciao, .mau.