Re: Suggestion: Partial file transfer.

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 09:24:07 MDT
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
    I'd be more comfortable with this and other proposals if the original
    data were delivered with a 'content-ID' that was unique to the
    particular content being delievered, and any follow-up request for
    partial delivery were indexed not by the original URL but by the
    content-ID itself. (The lack of a content-ID would be a signal that
    the object wasn't suitable for partial transmission or that the server
    didn't support such.)

    The content-ID could also be used as a GET IF-DIFFERENT key, since the
    content-ID would change when the content changed. Content-ID is
    required to be globally unique. (It might even be a URN, but who
    knows?)

This sounds quite like the "Cache-Validator:" unique-ID that I proposed
to replace IF-MODIFIED-SInce (sorry for the weird typing, I'm on a really
slow link).  Once you have a way for the server to explicitly control
caching on an object-by-object basis, lots of problems solve themselves.

-Jeff