Re: Possible optimization to State-Info proposal

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 10:08:51 EDT
To: bobwyman@medio.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Bob Wyman <bobwyman@medio.com> wrote:
  > [...]
  > 	2. If you remove the requirement for forwarding of State-Info, you break
  > the ability of servers to use State-Info for click tracking. This is,
  > unfortunately, one of the applications that State-Info is supposed to
  > support. If it wasn't for click tracking, I would whole-heartedly support
  > your suggestion.

Clicktrails were a fallout from the original State-Info proposal, but
they weren't the main focus, and I would be willing to sacrifice them.
I would support a separate mechanism.

Note that clicktrails raise the same objection that State-Info
forwarding raised:  each request to a caching proxy would require a
connection from the proxy to the server, even if the proxy could
satisfy the request.  That's one reason people objected to the
State-Info forwarding.  Other people have been discussing (on
www-talk?) ways for origin servers to request statistics from proxies
regarding (cache) hits for their server.  That may be a more fruitful
approach to gathering the statistics.

Dave Kristol