Re: any more comments? ('204 No Content' clarification)

From: Marc Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 17:28:48 -0700
To: Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Cc: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
At 4:35 PM 8/23/95, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>Consider this an objection (of course, I guess it doesn't really count,
>since I'm nobody important).

Well, I said "if there are no objections," not "if there are no objections
from important people."  ;)  Your imagemap example makes sense, as do your
comments about "current practice" -- I had thought there was some variation
between clients, but I can't find an example of the behavior I described,
so the suggestion is withdrawn for 1.0.

>for HTTP/1.1, I see no reason why a new respose code, along the lines of
>"205 Reset Document" couldn't be added, which would have no content, but
>would instruct the UA to refresh the document internally, clearing any
>user-modified portions.

I'd be happy with this.  I could see this response being useful for applets
(i.e., Java) as well.

Marc Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>