Re: HTTP/1.2 stuff: try it out!

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 95 18:05:51 MDT
To: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, mogul@pa.dec.com
    1) If there's a Connection: keepalive request header, the server will
    hold the connection open for 10 seconds.

This might be a bit short.  My trace-based curves show a fairly
sharp "knee" in mean requests/connection at somewhat higher timeouts,
around 1-2 minutes.

I assume you're closing idle connections as necessary when your
total connection count exceeds a threshold.  If not, then the
10-second timeout is probably necesary.

I can't remember if we've discussed this on the group-wide mailing
list, but I've suggested to some people that the keep-connection
header include the IP address of the client or proxy that generates
it.  This ensures that requests made via an old-style proxy are
not help open (which would effectively delay the response).  It
does require that proxies supporting the persistent-connection
model have to rewrite this header, but that seems relatively
benign.

-Jeff