Re: De Re If-Modified-Since

From: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 10:31:56 -0500 (CDT)
To: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
Cc: montulli@mozilla.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
According to Brian Behlendorf:
> I remember you (and/or Rob McCool) proposed just doing a straight string
> compare of the LM and IMS (LM = IMS), which is *different* than LM < IMS <
> CURRTIME.  If you implemented the latter in the Netsite, the Apache group
> will put it in Apache, I bet Chuck would put it in Webstar and Henrik would
> put it in CERN and Brandon would put it in NCSA.  Deal?  I honestly think we
> would address the most serious aspects of the incorrect-time problem without
> forcing a change to the HTTP protocol by doing this.

I think this *is* forcing a change in the HTTP protocol.  On the other
hand I agree it is a good idea and it will go a long way toward solving
the problems discussed here.

It might be even better if the "date" of the IMS is an opaque string
whatever.  The only limitation is that it can't be recreated by the
client, but I think that is unrealistic anyway.

John Franks